Vienna University Library
(Vienna University Library and Archive Services)
In the foundation deed of 1365, the founder, Rudolf IV, Duke of Austria, decreed that a library was to be founded for the university.
With its inventory (status as of 2010) of just under 6.9 million books, (of which 2.6 million are to be found in the main library), some 10,100 regularly stocked journals, more than 1,100 databases and more than 44,300 online journals, Vienna University Library is the centre for scientific information for the members of the University of Vienna and the general public. Every day some 38,000 search requests are registered in the online catalogue and an average of 10,700 books per day are borrowed and loans extended.
Vienna University Library’s task of collecting and providing information extends to all the departments represented at the university. It is therefore a universal library, which covers all fields of knowledge with the exception of human medicine, veterinary medicine and technological study disciplines.
Vienna University Library functions as a single-layer library system with a main library and 38 departmental libraries. Central Services carry out all the core functions for all the areas.
Since 2004, Vienna University Library, jointly with the University of Vienna Archive, has formed the Library and Archive Service Facility.
The Service Facility is represented on the Advisory Board of the Vienna University Press publishing house in the person of the manager.
An administrative department of the Service Facility is responsible for the systematic compilation and presentation of all the collections and facilities, which are accommodated for teaching and research purposes at the various institutes and departments of the University of Vienna.
The following services are incorporated into the Library and Archive Service Facility: research documentation of the the University of Vienna; a digital asset management system with a long-term archiving facility, known as PHAIDRA (Permanent Hosting, Archiving and Indexing of Digital Resources and Assets); a work group concerning open access, a bibliometrics team and a scientometrics work group. An administrative department for Innovation Management, which monitors and evaluates international developments, systematically collects ideas from members of staff and sets up measures for implementing new developments in regular operation, is particularly important.
The University Library of the Medical University of Vienna, which was founded in 2004, is the largest specialist medical library in Austria. With 4,000 electronic journals and 13,900 electronic books and e-resources, the library focuses on digital media; the number of downloads of journal articles and chapters of books is significantly greater than one million per year. In addition, the University Library also stocks a major collection of 740,000 printed books and volumes of journals at the three locations, the main library in the General Hospital (University Clinics) and in the branch libraries for Dental Medicine and the History of Medicine. The last location also includes the especially valuable historical stocks, in particular, the Josephinian Library, which together with the collections of the Medical University of Vienna, forms the university’s cultural heritage.
The University Library of the Vienna University of Technology is the largest technical and scientific specialist library in Austria. Its wide-ranging, exceptional quality spectrum of services from the regular acquisition of media through comprehensive advice to competence in supporting publication of works contribute to creating excellent conditions for students, lecturers and researchers at the University. As a major infrastructure facility, it promotes the transfer of knowledge from Vienna University of Technology to society.
Today, the University Library, which was founded in 1815, has more than some 1.5 million media units and plays a central role as the provider of differentiated learning facilities on the campus. As well as the main library in Resselgasse there are the Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library at Getreidemarkt and the Urban Planning Library at Karlsplatz.The University Library cooperates with other libraries and information establishments nationally and internationally and is constantly extending its network within and outside Vienna University of Technology from a strategic viewpoint. In carrying out its responsibilities, it sets great store on user orientation and takes innovative steps to achieve this.
The University Library of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna was founded in 1872.
It holds more than 500,000 books, as well as a comprehensive stock of electronic resources. Major collections include the natural sciences, agriculture and forestry, crop technology, water and waste management, the environmental sciences, natural hazards, foodstuffs and bio-technology, the economic sciences, land use and landscape planning, as well as the material sciences.
The University Library of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna comprises the main library, four specialist libraries and 35 institute libraries. Since 2008, the library has had responsibility for the University Archive.Particular emphasis is placed on the dissemination of IT skills. Along with two courses with e-learning modules, the library also offers workshops on specific issues, such as quotation management programmes. Guided tours and courses are provided in German and English, as well as in sign language.
The University Library of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna is also a popular venue for exhibitions and readings.
The University Library of the University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna has been in existence since 1777 and currently has a stock of some 220,000 volumes and more than 250 regular journals, which are held in the main building, and in clinic and institute libraries. The University Archive is also connected to the University Library.
The stock of electronic media includes a wide spectrum of electronic journals and licensed databases. As well as veterinary medicine, the collections focus on the fields of bio-medicine, bio-technology and food safety.
As well as providing literature to some 2,300 students and more than 1,200 members of staff on the campus and in the veterinary hospital, the University Library is also the contact point for veterinary surgeons located throughout Austria. Each year the University Library records about 40,000 loans and 120,000 visitors to the library.
Because of the increasing use of electronic media, the expansion of the digital library is being constantly expedited. A further major focus is the dissemination of IT skills.
In 1898, the Export Academy of the Imperial-Royal Austrian Trade Museum, the predecessor of the contemporary Vienna University of Economics and Business was founded and established its own library.
Currently, the library’s stock comprises more than 600,000 printed works, more than 100,000 electronic books, 760 printed journals, 25,000 licensed electronic journals and 144 licensed databases. This makes the University Library of the Vienna University of Economics and Business the largest library for economics in Austria and one of the largest in the German-speaking regions.
The services of the University Library are organised into four strategic spheres of activity: i) the operation of learning worlds in the Library & Learning Centre and three specialist libraries, ii) the stock of literature, specialist information and data, iii) services to do with IT skills and iv) services primarily to support the sciences.
The collections focus on: business studies, economics, law (especially commercial law), business information systems, statistics and mathematics, economic geography and economic history, sociology and business education.The library has four locations at the Vienna University of Economics and Business: the Library & Learning Centre, the Law Library, the Social Sciences Library and the Business Languages Library.
The University’s Open Access Office is established in the University Library.
As one of the largest art and cultural sciences libraries in Austria, the University Library of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna looks back on a long history, which began as early as the 18th century.
It preserves literary treasures of the past and is, at the same time, a forward-looking service facility for the modern information society.
Its members of staff support teaching, research and study both by providing literature and specialist information and by promoting IT skills, while working closely with all the other university organisational units.
The library was founded in 1900.
The library’s stock (status, as of the end of 2013) comprises about 130,000 monographs, 400 current print and 950 online journals, 24 online databases, a media library with some 9,500 DVDs and video tapes, a collection of artists on vinyl records and the special collection of artist’s books, surrealism source literature, Japanese woodblock books, template sheets, the partial estate of Clemens Holzmeister, historic photographs and slides.
The library is a specialist library that is open to the general public. The total stock can be searched by means of the supA Search Portal [Suchportal Angewandte or search portal Applied] and most of the stock can be borrowed.
The library is the central information facility for the University. Its facilities and services are directed towards the needs of the users and the aims of the University and of the courses offered by the University. The collections focus on art, architecture and design in the 20th and 21st centuries: art, architectural and media theory; Austrian art and architecture; fashion and costumes; feminist literature and literature specific to women; video art and film; conservation and restoration.
The library was founded in 1909. Its stock comprises some 250,000 information media (approx. 50% sheet music, 40% books and journals, 10% non-book materials), which is generally accessible and, for the most part, can be borrowed.
The collections focus on music, musicology, music education, acting and directing, film and television and culture management.The University Library is organised as a main library and 15 institute libraries.
Specialist areas include the estates of Bruno Walter, Isolde Ahlgrimm and Franz Samohyl.
The beginnings of the Hapsburg book collections can be traced as far back as the 14th century. In 1575, the Emperor Maximilian II appointed Hugo Blotius as the first official Prefect of the Imperial Library. In 1920, the National Library assumed the rich heritage of the Imperial Court Library (manuscripts, incunabula and old prints, maps, globes, papyri, image documents, inter alia). It was not called the Austrian National Library until 1945.
By the end of 2016, the stock comprised about 11.6 million documents, including 3.84 printed documents. Every year over 500,000 persons visit the library (including the museum sections) and about fifty percent of these visitors use the reading rooms, where some 500,000 (analogue) documents are used each year.
Based on the statutory legal deposit regulation (Media Act), the Austrian National Library is the central depositary for all Austrian publications, including electronic media. Since 2009, on the basis of the amended Media Act it has also been collecting Austrian web publications. Additional focuses of its collections are Austriaca from abroad, specialist literature on the special collections and humanities literature in general.In addition to the modern library, the Austrian National Library possesses eight special collections and four linked museums, as well as the Baroque State Hall:
- Collection of manuscripts and old printed material
- Map collection and Globe Museum
- Music collection
- Picture Archive and Graphics Collection
- Papyrus collection and Papyrus Museum
- Literature Archive and Literature Museum
- Collection for constructed languages and Esperanto Museum
- Archive of the Österreichischen Volksliedwerk [Austrian Folk Music Collection]The specialised areas of the Austrian National Library also include the Education Department, the Institute of Restoration and the publicly accessible Archive of Building History.
For more than 10 years, the Austrian National Library has been working intensively on digitalising large portions of its stocks, inter alia, in cooperation with Google within the scope of the Austrian Books Online project, the entire stock of copyright-free printed materials, the historical newspapers (ANNO) and also stocks of posters, image documents, papyri and a great deal of similar materials.
Other important projects are the long-term archiving or electronic media (including the “web archive”) and cooperating in EU projects.
Since its foundation in 1965, over the years the stock of the University Library of the Johannes Kepler University Linz has increased to 1 million books. Currently, to that can be added the 900 print journals, the 20,000 e-journals, more than 36,000 e-books and a large range of scientific databases.
The scientific section of the book stock from the America House in Linz, known as the Kennedy Library, forms the base of the University Library’s stock.
The Linz University Library collections focus on the study disciplines taught at Johannes Kepler University – the social and economic sciences, law and the natural sciences and technology, with the emphasis on mechatronics, plastics technology and medicine.
Mention should be made of the special collection, the stock of the former Research Library of the Chamber of Labour for Upper Austria, which was donated to the University Library in 1997 and which is constantly updated.
The University Library comprises the main library, the library for the Law Faculty, the Juridicum Library, the Medical Faculty Library and 10 more specialist libraries.
The University Library is a central service facility for the University of Art and Design Linz; it is open to the public and provides its offers and services free of charge to its customers. One of the main principles of the library team is to establish the University Library as an attractive space for communication, learning and working.
The University Library’s collection policy is strongly centred on the study opportunities offered by the University of Art and places chronological emphasis on the production of art and culture in the 20th and 21st centuries. Visual arts, applied art, media art, industrial design, architecture, media theory, art history, cultural studies, gender studies and art education are among the emphases in the new acquisitions. A comprehensive range of some 200 current journal subscriptions, which are available in the reading room, provide a generous overview of current trends in contemporary production in art and culture. In addition, a selection of national and international daily and weekly newspapers provides entertainment and up-to-the-minute information.
The library was officially founded in 1619 by a Foundation of the Salzburg Cathedral Chapter, preceding the foundation of the university, which was founded in 1622. With the secularisation of the Salzburg archbishopric in 1803 and the dissolution of the Benedictine university in 1810, it lost the status of a university library, but continued to exist as a ‘research library’. With the reinstatement of the university in 1962, it once more became the University Library.
The University of Salzburg is not a campus university, but is spread across a large number of locations throughout the entire city of Salzburg. Located in the centre of the Old Town, the main library is a repository library and the head office of the University Library with media stocks, which cover a wide range of topics. The faculty, specialist and departmental libraries in the various university locations are open access libraries with a huge range of specialist technical literature. The library and media stocks at these locations are administered as sections of the University Library. The University Archive was integrated from a library into the University Library in 2004.
In 2015 in the main library, the faculty, specialist and departmental libraries the University Library offered over 2.5 million media, together with a professional and library service for researchers, students and the interested public. Since 2014 literature search has been further improved for the user by the UBsearch search engine and has become more convenient and more effective.
The Salzburg University Library is one of five training libraries in Austria, which, as well as providing the inter-university course in Library and Information Studies (MSc), also offers instruction for archive, library and information assistants. Further professional education is promoted, because digital media demand the relaying of information by professionals and up-to-date knowledge of the latest information and communication technologies.The University Library supports the University of Salzburg by providing free and practical access to the results of scientific work and objects of our cultural heritage in the Internet for users without any financial, technical or legal barriers through open access publishing.
When the school was converted into a state conservatory in 1922, the necessity for establishing a ‘School Library’ became evident for the first time. A first step was taken in building up a basic stock of sheet music and music materials in the academic year 1924/25 by the then Director of the Conservatory, Bernhard Paumgartner. It was not until 1930 that the installation and cataloguing could be started. Thus, this year is deemed to be the year in which the library was founded.
Today, the total stock comprises some 290,000 media (165,000 sheet music, 110,000 books, 18,000 audio-visual media and about 350 current journals), which can be accessed at the four locations of the main library, the Orff Institute for Elemental Music and Dance Pedagogy, the Institute for Game Research and in the Innsbruck House of Music community library. The purchasing policy is orientated on the range of subjects represented at the university – music, theatre and the visual arts. The comprehensive historical collection at the Institute for Game Research with valuable game literature and print graphics from four centuries deserves special mention.
The library is open to the public. It provides its stock free of charge both to the members of the University and to the general public. Special emphasis is placed on the cultivation of partnerships and joint projects with selected educational establishments for the purpose of IT skills.
The Innsbruck University Library was established in 1745 and renamed the University and State Library Tyrol in 2007. It serves not only the University of Innsbruck, but also the Medical University of Innsbruck.
The stock of print media amounts to some 3.5 million volumes and, in the last few years, the University and State Library Tyrol has continued to improve and expand its range of electronic media. The use of the electronic media stock has been considerably simplified for the users by the implementation of the PRIMO search engine.
As well as procuring literature and information for the teaching and research at the universities mentioned, there is a particular emphasis on the collection of literature from and about the Tyrol.
In its role as a state library, it is available to all Tyroleans and is extremely active in cooperating with the public libraries in the region and in maintaining good contacts with the school libraries and the libraries in the tertiary education sector.
The University Library Graz was founded in 1585.
Currently, the library holds a stock of around 4.0 million media units and is expanding each year by some 40,000 print and electronic works. The number of current journals amounts to some 27,000. The library provides 2,400 lecturers and researchers, 32,000 students and 2,000 external users with the information they need.
In correlation to the faculties at the University of Graz, the collections focus on the following: the humanities and the natural sciences, law, the social and economic sciences and theology. There is a particular focus on collections of publications from and about South-East Europe.
The library comprises a main library, two faculty libraries (for law, the social and economic sciences and theology) and ten specialist libraries. In addition, the library has its own media library and since 2011 has had a decentralised newspaper depositary.
The Graz University Library possesses a collection of more than 2,100 manuscripts and over 1,110 incunabula, a restoration workshop and a digitalisation department. The library places great emphasis on the teaching of IT skills and it is the location for the university course on Library and Information Studies.Since 2015, the University of Graz publishing house has been overseen by the library. In the same year, a service centre for supporting scholarly publishing was established, which assists the scientists in the publication of texts in print and electronic form.
The University Library was established in 2004, together with the newly founded Graz Medical University. The library provides access to literature and information for currently about 4,700 students (medicine, dentistry, and nursing sciences) and more than 200 members of the teaching staff, as well as scientific staff and medical doctors of Graz Medical University.
The library is located within the Centre for Medical Research (ZMF) on the premises of Graz University Hospital and MED CAMPUS Graz.
Out of a total of 230 study spaces in the library there are 53 fully equipped IT work stations which offer state-of-the-art facilities for both students and staff. There are 50 more work spaces at the Learning Centre.
WiFi is available throughout the library. After registration, all library visitors may use this service free of charge.
The textbook collection provides about 140 titles in the most recent edition, which are recommended for further reading by teaching staff. Titles are arranged on open shelves by subject and can be borrowed by all university students. In addition, there are more than 2,000 reference books available on open shelves classified by subject. Reference books are not available for loan.
The library provides access to about 830 academic e-books, as well as to more than 5,500 licensed e-journals.
Library holdings include 70,000 volumes of printed journals on open shelves as well as 11 databases, nearly 1,700 printed theses and a continually increasing collection of e-theses of Graz Medical University graduates.
Graz Medical University Library currently focuses on the advancement of the “hybrid library”, further development of open access, and information literacy.
The University Library has existed as an independent establishment since 1889; prior to that it was part of the Joanneum Library founded in 1811 by Archduke Johann.
The collections focus on the technological and natural science curriculum at the Graz University of Technology. In 2016 the stock comprised 750,000 volumes and 900 current print journals. International databases, electronic standards, 7,500 licensed e-journals and around 55,000 e-books are available for research and teaching. The stock of historically valuable books and journals, together with materials from the Archive are systematically digitalised and thus made available round the clock.
In three locations the main library and two specialist libraries offer attractive premises for reading, learning and working. The library is heavily committed to teaching IT skills. As well as taught courses and other training opportunities for students, the library specifically supports members of the University staff with the ‘library in situ’ initiative.
The task of the Graz University of Technology publishing house, which has been established at the library since 2006, is to present the research results from Graz University of Technology to a wide public and the scientific community. The publishing house has set itself the aim of promoting the open access principle and offers a steadily increasing proportion of the publications in freely accessible online versions, free of charge. To support scholarly publishing and to promote the open access philosophy, the library makes a repository and a publication fund available.
The library is responsible for the Graz University of Technology publications database, which contains both bibliographical references and full texts. It serves as the base for the creation of the annual intellectual capital statement. A portal ensures that the research achievements are appropriately presented to the outside world.
The University Archive has been integrated into the library since 2011 and, like the library, is available to all persons interested in natural science and technology.
The library was established in 1979. The stock comprises about 310,000 ‘traditional information media’ (books, printed music, audio-visual media, manuscripts and early printing) and some 650,000 electronic resources (e-CDs, e-books, e-scores, e-journals, etc.) with a use rate of about 55,000 loans to around 2,800 active readers per year. The collections focus on music, musicology and the performing arts.
The University Library is organised into the main library, its branch library in Oberschützen and stocks provided to the institutes. Since 2010, the University Library has been a department of the University Library, Archive and Musical Instrument Collection organisational unit.
The University Library works jointly with the University Library at the University Archive and the Musical Instrument Collection. The University Library houses rare book collections and special collections; these boast some 15,000 valuable works. They include music autographs, music manuscripts, letters, first and early printed editions of music (17th – 19th centuries), musica theoretica prior to 1900, facsimile editions, photos.
The University Library operates a digital repository (KUG-PHAIDRA) and an institutional open access repository (KUG Scholar).
The University Library of the University of Mining Leoben has been in existence since 1849. Its stock comprises some 270,000 books and more than 600 subscriptions to current journals. The Leoben University Library is a public library; however, it is principally used by the 3,000 students and 700 lecturers at the University of Mining.
The ten study disciplines comprise scientific and technical special fields in the geo-sciences, environmental protection, plastics technology, materials sciences, metallurgy, raw materials, petroleum engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial logistics and energy engineering. As well as these main collections, the Leoben University Library also houses a comprehensive collection of geological and mining maps. The University Archive and a collection of realia connected with the history of science (e.g. measuring instruments) is an integral part of the library. The University Library looks after four public library locations (three specialist libraries) and 30 institute libraries.
New challenges include the establishing of search engine technology with more than 90 million scientific entries and the organisation of a university repository (e.g. online dissertations) with long-term archiving.
The University Library of the Alpen Adria University is the largest public library in Carinthia. It provides to all interested parties the basic, current scientific literature appropriate for the range of courses offered at the Alpen Adria University in the form of a freely accessible reference library in four reading rooms. In addition, in its stock of journals, the library holds a large contingent of literature on external sciences, translated works of world literature and special stocks. Access to electronic media is steadily expanded. Since January 2011, the University Library has been able to use the unique service of a 24-hour library. Around the clock, it is possible to use literature and media at all the library’s premises, which are open to the public.
The Karl Popper collection, the core of which encompasses all the materials in the estate of the philosopher, has proved to be a major centre of research at the University Library. The administration of the copyright agenda is associated with the collection though its own office. The literature stocks of the Faculty for Interdisciplinary Research and Continuing Education Klagenfurt and the Faculty for Interdisciplinary Research and Continuing Education Vienna, as well as the specialist library at the Robert Musil Institute for Literary Research, which is looked after by the Klagenfurt University Library, are dispersed.